12.5.09

Hey! Just a quick update.

The weather has been back and forth like crazy between sunshine and pouring rain. Guess this is what it's like to live on the coast of a big island.

I moved a little farther from the church on monday. This place is free, housesitting for a lady in the church who has to go be with her sick mum in Christchurch. It will be for an undefined period of time. I have to take care of the German shepherd, but that's no big deal. But, I am a bit gutted to give up the bayside view.

I led worship here on Sunday. It went well, at least that's what they told me. If I'm not mistaken words like "brilliant" and "magnificent" were used. Of course, the week before I was here they didn't have anyone at all to do it, so the contrast set me up for success.

Starting to get more of a read on what youth group shtuff will be like. I was a little vague on exactly what my role with them was to be.. I thought it would be leading the senior high group but with some other people who were already helping with it. Nope. Just me. Solo. At least for now. I'll be working hard to get other people to help. There should be at least one female leader. I'm really liking my schedule right now... I kind of do whatever I want whenever I want. They haven't asked me to keep office hours or anything. Not like I have an office anyway... But the flexibility is cool.

Tried to go to a sunday night service at another church. Couldn't find it. I printed a map of it but left it at home. I want to find a loud worship service on sunday nights to go to. I really like this church, the commitment to people here is great, but I feel like I could use a place to just cut loose a little bit. Maybe that will just come with a little time here. There's one other guitar player on the worship team roster for the first service.... and... no other instrumentalists, and a whole handful of singers. Got one or two other instrument types in my crosshairs.

I'll try to get some photographic images of some of the people I'm hanging around these days so I can introduce them to you.

So I brought my bass with me because I figured bass players are always in short supply and I could probably pick up some gigs and maybe make a little cash. I looked at the bulletin board in the music store today.... chock full of "bass player looking for..." type ads. Apparently we're not in such short supply over here. So now I'm thinking "frick I packed that thing all the way over here for no reason..." Whatever. Maybe it wasn't for no reason.

I was thinking earlier today about something really profound that I thought I should write about. I forgot what it was.

No comments: